Are you suffering the symptoms of adrenal fatigue? constantly tired? Do you have a difficulty falling asleep or waking up? Do you struggle with sugar cravings? Adrenal fatigue does not have to be a chronic illness.
Many of us struggle to balance the hustle-and-bustle of daily life. Family, keeping in touch with friends, long work hours, paying bills, changing your oil every 3000 miles, the list goes on – there just doesn’t seem to be time for it all. Our technological society has outpaced us and our bodies are struggling to adapt to the stresses of modern living. Our “fight-or-flight” response, once only necessary in rare instances, is now a part of our daily lives. Daily experiences of frustration with traffic, waiting in lines, dealing with customer service, etc. leave us exhausted and our sleep just isn’t sufficient for us to recover from “the daily grind”.
Our adrenal glands are the little glands that sit on top of our kidneys. They are responsible for producing the hormone cortisol, which wakes us up in the morning and is involved with our ability to fall asleep at night. It also allows our body to break down energy stores (fat) to increase our blood sugar when we get hungry. By overworking, under-resting and not getting enough restful sleep, our adrenal glands are continuously pushed to work overtime. Over time, our hormones get out of balance and characteristic symptoms start to show up in your life.
Symptoms associated with adrenal fatigue:
- Difficulty waking and “getting going” in the morning
- Late afternoon (2-4pm) energy “crash”
- Exhaustion with difficulty falling asleep at night
- Cravings for sugar, salts, or fats
- Weakened immune system resulting in decreased ability to recover from illnesses
- PMS & menopause symptoms
- Low sex drive
- Memory problems & mental fog
- Mood swings and decreased ability to handle stress
- Muscular weakness
These are just some of the symptoms of what is referred to as “adrenal fatigue,” which is caused by chronic stresses. There can be some misunderstanding about adrenal fatigue as it is not a conventional medical diagnosis, but a term in Alternative Medicine that is used to describe the above symptoms. Over time these symptoms can increase and have a devastating impact on your overall quality of life.
What can you do now?
- Quit the coffee – It stimulates your already overworked adrenal glands to work harder. Drink a cup of licorice tea for breakfast instead.
- B-12 injections – Your body uses B-12 in energy production. Supplementing with B-12 gives your body the resources it needs to make energy naturally instead of pushing it to work harder when you are already stressed.
- Get some sleep – Your adrenal glands are associated with making cortisol, which wakes you up in the morning and gives you the energy to get out of bed and start your day.
- Eat regular meals – Eating breakfast sets your metabolism for the day. When you skip breakfast, your adrenal glands kick in to produce energy to keep you going, which stresses fatigued adrenal glands even further.
- Contact your Naturopathic Doctor - Your Naturopathic Doctor can focus on a specific diet and herbal supplement treatment plan to help you regain energy, improve your mood, and eliminate other symptoms of adrenal fatigue.
If you feel that you are suffering adrenal fatigue, and are looking for a solutions, contact Elemental Healthcare for treatment today.